Five Elements of Good Preschool Programs
This is a short bullet-point list of Developmentally Appropriate Practice elements that should be found in a good Salt Lake County preschool programs. Developmentally appropriate practice is “based on knowledge of the stages of child development, and an understanding that each child is unique and that each child’s experiences should match his or her development abilities.” In particular, a developmentally appropriate early childhood program emphasizes the following elements:
- Active exploration of the environment.
- Self-directed, hands-on learning activities.
- Balance between individual and group activities.
- Regular and supportive interaction with teachers and peers.
- Balance between active movement and quiet activities.